I just want to say a huge thank you again to everyone who donated to this cause! Our organization, Refugia’l, managed to raise a total of 6,600€ for the residents, with 1,300€ of that coming directly from my friends, family, and generous acquaintances back home. An extra big thank you to the people at ECOH Inc., who together accounted for a significant portion of the funds raised. You’re all beautiful humans.
Photographs were generally discouraged around the residence, especially if they included faces, so I didn’t get too many photos of people enjoying what our money brought, but I can assure you everyone was extremely excited and grateful.
The funds were distributed between 2 residences where we spent the majority of our time: the old school and the pregnant women’s house.
At the school, we put the money towards:
– Breakfast supplies for all 250 residents on various days.
– Afternoon snacks (usually fruit and juice) for children.
– School and activity supplies (notebooks, pens, pencils, chalk, math books etc.)
– Leggings for women to wear under their long tunics (in addition to the box of donations sent directly from Canada!)
– Bras and underwear.
– Soap, make up, henna, and hair dye.
– Arts and crafts supplies
– Games and activity supplies (a kiddie pool, water balloons, various sports equipment)
– A basketball net (that Joseba and I built from scratch!)
– Shelving to organize the winter donation room.
At the women’s residence we put the money towards:
a new kitchen! Our volunteers worked hard to build up a new kitchen from scratch and provide food and group cooking activities for the families that live there.